Best Portable Planer 2020 : One of the essential equipment in the wood workshop is wood planer. This helps you in shaving down the material to the right size. You would agree with us on the fact that the wood planer is something that every workshop needs. A lot of projects might be at a client location, and in such a case, it might be required to purchase a portable planer that can be transported to the client location. A lot of people also use power sanders, but there is nothing that can actually replace the planer. Without a good planer, it would be really difficult to complete the projects with accuracy.
Gone are the days when people used the manual handheld planers. They are inaccurate, and they are also very labor-intensive. Today, you can use portable planers, which are also quite affordable. They reduce the efforts required by multiple folds, and this is the reason why a lot of people actually prefer using them. We are sure that you are also looking for a portable planer, and this is the thing that brought you to our page. On this page, you will find all the information that is really required to purchase a good quality planer that is suitable for your workshop. Our experts have considered a lot of points before coming up with the list of the best portable planers that you can choose.
Go ahead and jump on to the next section, where you can check out the top 7 portable planers that are available in the market right now. We are sure that this will help you in making the online purchase easy, and you will also enjoy working on the new machine that you are going to purchase. So, here we go.
Best Portable wood Planer Reviews 2020
In this section, we have listed the top 7 best portable wood planers available in the market in 2020. This is the updated list, so do not worry about investing money in the outdated products. The team of our experts has compiled the list with the utmost care. We also understand that you need to understand the product before you can purchase it so you can go through the review in this section to get a fair idea of the product. Without wasting any more time, let us jump to the next section and have a look at the list of products that we have for you.
If you would like nothing but the best, then you can consider this portable wood planer from Makita. The construction of this planer is in such a way to eliminate the snipe, and the motor has a maximum speed of 8500 rpm. The noise levels are low, which makes it an ideal companion at the client’s location. The maximum width that this machine can handle is 12 inches. The features available in this planer are easy to use, which makes it quite an efficient planer. If you want to purchase this planer, then it must be noted that you will get blade set, magnetic holders, toolbox, and wrenches with the planer. The warranty offered on this planer is of 30 days, during which the brand offers a 100% refund. Overall, it is quite an amazing machine, and we would really recommend you to purchase this planer if you need something durable and premium, which can be taken to client locations without any trouble.
- It is one of the quietest planers with noise levels of just 83 dB.
- The planer is compact, and it is also lightweight, which makes it easy to transport.
- It has several features like a double edge planer blade, LED Status Light and Adjustable Depth Stop.
- Changing the blade is a fast and easy task.
- The brand offers 30 days money-back guarantee and a year’s warranty on the machine.
- Nothing that we could notice.
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/3agyZAR”]
One of the reputed names in the industry is Delta, and this is a powerful machine that can handle almost any type of task. The motor is a 15A motor, which is extremely powerful, and the machine is also very accurate. The extendable infeed and outfeed provide you with the required stability while you are working on the machine. You might not be able to change the blade easily while using planer but this is not the problem with this model. Changing the planer is quite easy, and it can be done in the nick of time because of the quick-change knife system. There is a dust port which also allows you to collect the dust as well as the chips from any of the side while using the planer. The machine is backed by a 5-year warranty, which is enough to protect your purchase. The only point that you might not like is the noise but we would say that it is manageable enough to use the planer without a problem.
- It comes with 5 year limited warranty in total.
- The Cut per minute speed is 18,800, and the feed rate is 28 ft./minute.
- The infeed and outfeed tables can be adjusted so as to get better support while using the planer.
- Features a quick change knife system
- Has a powerful 15 A meter that can handle almost any kind of job.
- Slightly noisy operations.
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/38dZFAV”]
At number 3, we have a portable benchtop planer from Dewalt, which is again a known name in the country. If you had always been worried about the maintenance of the planer, then this one can be the perfect one as this comes with 1 year long service contract. The warranty applicable is also good enough to protect your purchase. The construction of the machine has 4 columns carriage that locks the material and reduces the snipe. Just like many other options available in the market, this also has an extra-long infeed and outfeed to provide stability to the machine. The weight of this planer is just 80 pounds, which makes it portable as well. Knives used in this machine are reversible, and at the same time, the machine has a good dust management system. The hood can be connected to the vacuum to keep the workshop clean.
- This motor comes with 3 knife cutter head that gives it a maximum speed of 10,000 rpm and 96 cuts per inch.
- The knives are reversible so you can use them for a long period of time.
- It comes with 3 years warranty on the planer, and there is also a 90-day money-back guarantee. All this is supported by a 1 year service contract.
- This model has a dust hood, which lets you collect the dust easily.
- Available at an affordable price.
- Some customers reported a snipe
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/3cnsePu”]
Are you looking for a portable planer that is loaded with the features? Well, we have a portable planer from Wen for you, and we are sure that you are already aware of the amazing reputation that this brand has. Most of the machines can support a width of 12 inches but this planer from Wen can support a height of 6 inches and width of 13 inches, which gives it an edge over other planers. The tri roller feed system gives additional stability to the planer. Apart from this, there is a fine turn adjustment and there is also dust hose along with the connection port. The blades are reversible and they are also easy to change. During the regular use, we didn’t notice any such issue with the planer that would draw our concern towards the machine. The material removal gauge on the top is one of the best features in this planer.
- This planer comes with an onboard material removal gauge to tell you about the cutting depth.
- Supports a width of 13 inches, and this is certainly a good number.
- It has a dust removal port, which is supported by a fan for efficient cleaning.
- This planer has a 3 blade design that provides stability to the cutting head. The brand offers 2 year warranty on the planer
- Comes with depth adjustment knob and this machine has a capacity of 25,500 cuts per minute
- Some people reported issues with quality.
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/2TsURlN”]
Are you not happy with the products that you have seen until now? Are you looking for something much more premium? Well, how about a planer from Porter Cable? This is a portable thickness planer which provides you with the accuracy that you need. This planer also has a 15 A motor, but what makes it the difference is the blades that it has. This planer uses 2 blades, which are designed with high carbon steel. The blades are double-edged so you can reverse the blade when it loses the sharpness from one end. This machine has a gearbox that drives the cutting head, which not just provides optimal power to the head, but it also improves the power delivery. The brand also uses cutter elevation to ensure that get a stable base to work on. Changing a knife is easy and it just takes a few seconds to complete the task. Overall, the machine is good and we would really recommend this one to you if you are looking for something premium.
- It comes with 2 solid steel cutter knife which lasts very long.
- The stability of the head is unmatched, and the high carbon steel knife can be used from both sides.
- The head drive is coupled with a sturdy gearbox to provide maximum output.
- Has a head speed of 16,000 cuts per minute
- Quite a lightweight machine as this is just 64.8 pounds in weight
- No warranty information available
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/32BCmQq”]
This is the second machine from Dewalt in our list, and we assure you that you are going to love this model. This planer has a 3 knife cutter head, which gives you a 30% longer life of the knife. Apart from this, there is a dust collection system that is assisted by a fan. What makes this machine unique is the gearbox that lets you set a speed of 96 CPI or 179 CPI. The machine can easily support a board of 13 inches in width, and the feed rate can be maintained at 14 feet/min. Another thing that we absolutely loved about this planer is the fact that it comes with a 3 year limited warranty and 1 year service contract. Just like other planers from Dewalt, you also get 90 days money guarantee on this model. This can really be the best choice if you are looking for a machine with variable CPI.
- The motor has a maximum speed of 20,000 rpm and the cutter has a max speed of 10,000 rpm.
- The cutter head has 3 knives.
- There is a gearbox integrated into the machine that lets you select between 96 CPI and 179 CPI.
- It comes with a fan-assisted chip ejection system to keep the surroundings clean.
- The brand offers 3 years limited warranty on the machine.
- Slightly expensive when compared with other products on the list.
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/2PBVbOe”]
With this, we have reached the last planer on the list. This one is a portable planer from Triton, and it works quite well with almost every type of material. The base is rigid, which provides stability to the planer, and the infeed, as well as outfeed, is also extendable to provide extra support. This makes it easy to work with long pieces of planks. The machine is very portable because the weight is just 63.9 pounds. There is an on switch on the planer, which tells you when the power is on. Another important thing that we would like to mention here is that the width supported by this planer is 15 inches. It is maximum in the list, and hence if you are looking for a planer that supports better width then this is going to be the best choice for you. The 3 year warranty is also a part of the whole package.
- It has a speed of 17,500 cuts per minute.
- Quite an accurate machine where depth can be adjusted in multiples of 1.6 mm.
- Come with an integrated circuit breaker to improve security.
- You can even mount dust chute on any side of the planer.
- This comes with 3 years guarantee
- Some customers reported a high snipe.
[rehub_affbtn btn_text=”Buy Now At Amazon” btn_url=”https://amzn.to/3coZLsW”]
Buying Guide for Best Portable wood Planer 2020
If you are already using a portable planer, then we are sure that you would be aware of the points that you need to consider while choosing a planer. The problem is for the people who are purchasing it for the first time. For them, we have listed the points that they would need to consider to purchase a suitable portable wood planer. Go ahead and check out this buying guide which will make the purchasing easy for you.
- Type of Planer–The first thing to consider is the type of planer that you will be purchasing. You have options of thickness planer, jointer planer combination, power handheld planer, benchtop planer, and the portable planer. We assume that you have already made the decision to purchase a portable planer, which is the smaller version of benchtop planers.
- Maximum Power– One of the specs that you need to consider is the power that the planer can generate. This depends on the size of the motor and the specs of the motor. While making the purchase, you can check the horsepower associated with the motor, and this will give you an idea about the power output.
- Depth of the Cut– The main motive of using a planer is to ensure the surface is plane. The depth holds a lot of importance here as you do not want to remove a lot of material most of the time. In such a case, you need to check the depth of each cut that planer cuts with every stroke. Look out for the models where this can be controlled.
- Dust Collection– You do not want the sawdust flying around your workshop. This can be unhealthy as well. In such a case, it makes sense to consider the planers that have certain dust collection abilities. This will also reduce the kind of cleaning that is required after the job is finished.
- Cuts per Inches– Some of the machines will have the specification that is represented in CPI. This stands for cut per inch and this represents the number of times a blade cuts the material every each. The higher the CPI, the better the machine is. Follow this golden rule while purchasing the portable planer as well.
- Scalloping Ability– This is a type of finish that might be required for some of your projects. If you think you would need scalloping for any of your projects, then check for the compatibility. In this, the blades can make a series of scoops in the wood. Here, there are a number of factors that would determine the finish which includes the number of blades, speed of cutting head and diameter of cutting heads.
- Sniping Ability – This is yet another type of finish that the planer can offer you. In this finish, a slight dip is formed as soon as the plank is inserted in the machine. You can check how much is the snipe of the planer that you are purchasing and we assure you that this will be worth the consideration.
- Width– When we talk about width, what we mean is the width of the board that can pass through the planer. This is going to be an important consideration and the requirement depends on the kind of projects that you are going to do. We would recommend you to choose the widest possible option as this will be versatile, and it will help you in the future projects as well.
- Brand and Warranty– The next thing to consider is the brand and the warranty. We would recommend investing in a reliable brand as this would help you in buying a durable machine. The maintenance required will also reduce significantly. Also, check for the warranty that is applicable to the planer and on the motor.
- Cost– The last factor for the consideration is the cost of the wood planer. If you have a specific budget in mind then it would be easier to make the purchase. You can compare the features of the planers that you are getting in the same budget. In addition to this, you can also check out various options and deals that you are getting for the portable planer. Comparing the price will surely help you in getting the best possible deal.
This was all about the best wood planers available in the market. We hope that the information would have simplified the work of finding the wood planer for you. With all these details, we assume that you are well-equipped to make an informed decision about which equipment to invest money in. Carefully go through the reviews and choose the best portable wood planer that meets your requirements. Having an idea of the projects would make the shortlisting easy for you. You must also compare the price at various places so as to get the best deal on the wood planer that you are planning to invest money in.
The last piece of advice from our experts is that you must not indulge in random purchasing of the wood planer just because of the positive reviews or a good rating. These machines listed above are good in terms of performance and you can choose them without a doubt. Ensure that you go through the buying guide for the planers and lastly, do share this page with your friends who are also planning to purchase a portable planer for their workshop.
- 1 Best Portable wood Planer Reviews 2020
- 1.1 #1. Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer
- 1.2 #2. Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 in Portable Thickness Planer
- 1.3 #3. DEWALT Benchtop Planer
- 1.4 #4. WEN 6552T 13 in. 15 Amp 3-Blade Benchtop Corded Thickness Planer
- 1.5 #5. PORTER-CABLE Thickness Planer
- 1.6 #6. DEWALT Thickness Planer
- 1.7 #7. Triton TPT125 High-Performance Benchtop Planer
- 2 Buying Guide for Best Portable wood Planer 2020
- 3 Final Verdict